In honor of Pride Month, Northern Nevada HOPES Launching Month-Long Effort to Educate Community on LGBTQ+ Topics Leading up to Fundraiser, Give OUT Day June 28
- Give OUT Day is the only nation-wide giving event for the LGBTQ+ community
Northern Nevada HOPES (HOPES), a nonprofit on the front lines of community health for northern Nevada, is launching a month of LGBTQ+ educational and supportive events and fundraising leading up to Give OUT Day on June 28. Give OUT Day is the only national day of giving for organizations
who support the LGBTQ+ Community. HOPES is celebrating Give OUT during the month of June and every donation will be matched up to $25,000 by the Dr. Barry Frank Family. Funds will be routed toward those clinical operations at Northern Nevada HOPES that advance the health of LGBTQ+ patients.
HOPES’ Give OUT educational efforts are designed to introduce members of the general public as well as healthcare professionals to issues and challenges facing the LGBTQ+ population while providing them with tools and best practices to ensure operations are inclusive.
“In light of increasing threats to LGBTQ+ populations in this country and because HOPES identifies as a proud ally, the organization is scaling up its efforts to ensure our team and all other professionals who can have a hand in health outcomes for this population have more tools to positively impact lives,” said Todd Felts, Ed.D., board member for Northern Nevada HOPES. “We cordially invite the community to attend an event or two and to consider donating during June, as the actions we take today will be critical in empowering our friends and family in the LGBTQ+ population to receive the care and consideration they deserve.”
The events will kick off with a Give OUT Launch Party hosted by HOPES at Reno bar, Rum Sugar Lime, this Thursday, June 1 beginning at 4 p.m. Other events include:
- June 5: Movie screening of “No Straight Lines” at Coffee N’ Comics, Sparks location (1235 Baring Boulevard, Sparks NV, 89436) of local coffee and libation shop.
- June 7: Give OUT Education Series: LGBTQIA+ Education & Ally Workshop at Truckee Meadows Community College. This workshop is hosted by Kyle Weiss, project outreach manager of Truckee Meadows Community College’s Equity, Inclusion, and Sustainability Office through a grant with the Department of Health and Human Services. Attendees will learn basic-level information, including issues, terminology, protections, allyship and best practices. This event is being held on virtually on Zoom.
- June 13: Give OUT Education Series: Gender Care Competence and Creating a Safe Space for All. Presented by Dr. Sara Lentz, director of the Gender Institute at Common Spirit Health’s Saint Francis Memorial Hospital in San Francisco, this series is open to healthcare providers only and will describe the importance of sensitive and competent care for the gender diverse. Attendees will learn and better understand ways to create a physical and clinical environment that is inclusive and conducive to public safety. This event is being held on virtually on Zoom.
- June 14: Movie Screening of “No Straight Lines” at Coffee N’ Comics, Reno location (940 W Moana Lane, Ste. 104, Reno, NV 89509) of local coffee shop..
June 21: Give OUT Education Series: Safe Zone Training at Truckee Meadows Community College. Presented by Alexander Day, Clinical Professional counselor-interim and counselor-faculty member at Truckee Meadows Community College, the training will help participants increase awareness of their own gender and sexual identities.
- June 26: Give OUT Education Series: Whole Person Care: Gender Affirming Services at HOPES. In a panel presented by HOPES staff members who specialize in supporting gender affirming and non-conforming communities, attendees will hear how HOPES helps individuals access care and learn the significance of representation, hormone replacement therapy, case management and more. This event is hybrid, both in-person and a virtual option on Zoom.
- June 27: HIV Testing Day: Get OUT and Get Tested. This day will encourage individuals to take a moment to get tested for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) at the organization’s Change Point Clinic (580 W 5th Street, behind the HOPES clinic on Ralston at W 5th Street). Testing hours: 8:00 am – 3:00 pm (Walk-in HIV/Hep C Clinic),
3:00 pm – 6:00 pm (STI Clinic & Walk-in HIV/Hep C Clinic).
- June 28: Give OUT Day and Give OUT with HOPES. A celebration of vendors and educational information at the HOPES clinic from 11 am – 2 pm, featuring a live remote DJ, food trucks and other entertainment. All donations made on this day will be matched by the Dr. Barry Frank Family up to $25,000.
HOPES offers multiple judgment-free healthcare services for the LGBTQ+ community and recently dedicated its Gender and Sexual Healthcare Clinic in honor of The Dr. Barry Frank Family on May 24, 2023. Dr. Frank is a retired pediatrician who is deeply connected to the nonprofit’s mission and his support is integral in the clinic’s ability to serve patients in the region. In 2022, the Gender and Sexual Healthcare Clinic helped 440 clients, 171 of whom identified as transgender males, 217 of whom identified as transgender women and 36 who identified as other. HOPES serves over 2,000 LGBTQ+ patients annually. Additionally, HOPES offers free HIV and Hepatitis C Testing, behavioral health counseling, HIV prevention services (PEP/PREP) Medication-Assisted treatment programs and STI testing.
“We’re proud to connect patients to the services and support they need, including onsite support groups, resources, medical care and connection to community,” said Felts. “We firmly believe everyone should have access to healthcare in a safe and supportive environment.”
In addition to the generous matching gift from the Dr. Barry Frank Family, Renown Health and the NV Energy Foundation have joined HOPES’ Give OUT Campaign as official sponsors and shared commitment to supporting inclusive healthcare in our community.
For more information and to register for any event, visit the event site.